What is Pentasa (5-ASA EC (Mesalamine) used for?
An anti-inflammatory medicine called Pentasa Tablet (5-ASA EC (Mesalamine) is used to treat mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis, a type of bowel disease. By reducing bowel inflammation, it reduces symptoms such as diarrhea, bleeding, and stomach aches. A type of bowel disease known as Crohn's ileocolitis may also be treated with Pentasa Tablet (5-ASA EC (Mesalamine). Take it exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Dosage forms will vary depending on the condition you are treating. As long as your doctor recommends, you should continue taking this medicine. You may experience relapses of symptoms and worsening of your condition if you stop treatment too soon.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pentasa (5-ASA EC (Mesalamine)
Avoid crushing, chewing, or breaking the delayed release tablets. Swallow it whole. When this is done, the drug will not be absorbed properly into the colon.
The extended release capsules contents can be sprinkled on applesauce or yogurt before taking if you have trouble swallowing it. Do not chew the mixture or prepare a supply beforehand. Swallow the entire mixture right away without chewing.
During treatment with this medication, drink plenty of fluids as this medicine increases your risk of kidney stones, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor. Your doctor may need to monitor your kidney function to access the risks and benefits for individuals with a history of kidney disease.
Depending on the condition you have and the response to treatment, the dosage will be determined. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To make it easier to remember, take it at the same time every day.
You may find that you are more susceptible to sunburn and heatstroke when using Pentasa. You should apply sunscreen and wear protective clothing if you are out in the sun for extended periods of time. Avoid tanning beds during treatment.
Do not hesitate to call your doctor or pharmacist if your condition does not improve or worsens.
The most commonly reported side effects of Pentasa (5-ASA EC (Mesalamine) include:
- stomach cramps
- swelling in your feet or ankles
- skin rash
- upper stomach pain
- clay-colored stools
- tired feeling
- sore throat
- other flu symptoms
- dark urine
- loss of appetite
- easy bruising or bleeding
- feeling tired or short of breath
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
- skin conditions
There are other side effects that may occur that are not listed on this page.
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction such as trouble breathing.
Few known Drug Interactions of Pentasa (5-ASA EC (Mesalamine) are listed below:
- Entocort Ec (Budesonide)
- Humira (Adalimumab)
- Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin)
- Nexium (Esomeprazole)
- Fish Oil (Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids)
- Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)
- Folic Acid
- Xanax (Alprazolam)
A complete list of Pentasa (5-ASA EC (Mesalamine)) Drug Interactions is not available on this page.
Consult your physician if you have any questions about this medicine's drug interactions.
Starting price of Pentasa Tab 500 mg cost in Canada
- 100 tabs - $94.50 USD ($0.95 per tabs)
- 200 tabs - $188.90 USD ($0.94 per tabs)
- 300 tabs - $264.60 USD ($0.88 per tabs)
- 400 tabs - $336.00 USD ($0.84 per tabs)
- 500 tabs - $393.75 USD ($0.79 per tabs)
- 600 tabs - $466.20 USD ($0.78 per tabs)
Starting price of Pentasa Tab 1000 mg cost in Canada
- 60 tabs - $110.25 USD ($1.84 per tabs)
- 120 tabs - $213.15 USD ($1.78 per tabs)
- 180 tabs - $302.40 USD ($1.68 per tabs)
- 240 tabs - $399.00 USD ($1.66 per tabs)
- 300 tabs - $493.50 USD ($1.65 per tabs)
- 360 tabs - $585.90 USD ($1.63 per tabs)
- 420 tabs - $668.85 USD ($1.59 per tabs)
- 480 tabs - $735.00 USD ($1.53 per tabs)
Starting price of 5-ASA EC (Mesalamine) 400 mg cost in Canada
- 100 tabs - $84.00 USD ($0.84 per tabs)
- 200 tabs - $157.50 USD ($0.79 per tabs)
- 300 tabs - $211.05 USD ($0.70 per tabs)
- 400 tabs - $277.20 USD ($0.69 per tabs)
- 600 tabs - $403.20 USD ($0.67 per tabs)
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this page is to provide basic information on this product and is not intended to substitute medical advice from a licensed doctor. Always make sure to consult with a doctor before ordering medication online from Canada. Do not avoid or delay seeing a healthcare provider based on what you read here.